Harrisburg PA (April 16, 2015) — The American Red Cross announces the release of its new Emergency App which gives people instant access to weather alerts, life-saving information and ways to contact family and friends in one free, easy-to-use app for mobile devices.
This all-inclusive app provides expert advice on what to do in case of disasters such as hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, home fires, wildfires and more. The free Emergency App is available in app stores for smartphones and tablets by searching for the American Red Cross or by going to redcross.org/apps.
“Family Safe” is a new, unique feature that allows the app user to notify loved ones who are in an area affected by an emergency or disaster. The recipient can instantly see the alert details as well as specific “what to do now” steps, and then respond with either “I’m safe” or “I’m not safe.” This feature works even if the recipient has not downloaded the Emergency App.
The Emergency App has many features, including:
- Emergency first aid information for situations such as heart attacks, heat-related emergencies as well as water safety information;
- Preloaded content so users can access guidance from Red Cross experts even without mobile connectivity;
- A single map with open Red Cross shelter locations and weather information;
- A home fire section with detailed prevention and safety tips as well as Red Cross “After the Fire” information;
- A “Make a Plan” feature to help families plan what to do and where to go if a disaster strikes; and
- The ability to easily toggle between English and Spanish.
In addition to smartphones and tablets, this feature will be available on the new Apple Watch and can be downloaded from the Apple Watch App Store starting April 24.
Red Cross apps have been downloaded more than 6 million times and nearly 400 million alerts have been sent since the launch of the first app in 2012. In the past year alone, more than 350 million pages were viewed and the “I’m Safe” feature was accessed just over 550,000 times across all preparedness apps.